Cooper & Kirk, PLLC
Cooper & Kirk is a litigation boutique specializing in commercial, regulatory, and constitutional disputes in both federal and state courts. Since our founding a decade ago, we have been involved in many of the most significant trials and appeals in the country, usually against the nation's largest and most sophisticated law firms. We relish this challenge and have won courtroom victories worth more than $4 billion for our clients. The key to our success is our people. As a boutique, we are able to limit our hiring to only the most outstanding law school graduates. And our partners are able to become intimately familiar with all aspects of our cases. Thus, our size has proven to be a source of strength and provides us with a significant competitive advantage.
We are the happiest lawyers we know. Much of our satisfaction comes from being involved in litigation in which substantial commercial interests or important legal issues are at stake. Some of our current engagements include representation of:
As these engagements reflect, the firm has a wealth of both trial and appellate experience. Prior to the firm's founding, all of the partners worked together at a major D.C. law firm where they also had significant trial and appellate experience. The firm's chairman, Charles J. Cooper, served in the Department of Justice as the Assistant Attorney General for the Office of Legal Counsel during the Reagan Administration. In that capacity, Mr. Cooper provided the Attorney General and the President with advice on the constitutionality of a broad range of executive and legislative conduct. Mr. Cooper has consistently been named one of Washington's most prominent litigators by a variety of publications.
- Bank of America in a breach of contract case against the United States in which we won a $18 million trial verdict;
- the State of Tennessee in two trials and two appeals in which we won court approval of Medicaid reforms worth hundreds of millions of dollars to the state;
- trusts holding over $5 billion in assets targeted for confiscation by proposed legislation establishing a trust fund for asbestos victims;
- Ford Motor Company in a series of disputes with federal agencies, including with the Customs Department, the Defense Department, and the banking agencies;
- the State of Alabama in connection with its $3.5 billion trial verdict against Exxon Mobile for fraudulent royalty payments;
- Novell in a multibillion dollar antitrust case against Microsoft;
- Verizon in its efforts to secure uniform federal regulation of the telecommunications industry;
- American Capital in a breach of contract claim against the United States in which we won a $109 million trial verdict;
- Shell, Chevron Texaco, and Atlantic Richfield in a claim for breach of contract against the United States worth more than $100 million;
- Governor Jeb Bush in a successful defense of Florida's statute prohibiting felon voting;
- the Governor of Puerto Rico in an election recount dispute in which we prevailed after trial and appeal;
- the school boards of Marion County and Pinellas County Florida in upcoming school desegregation trials.
We invite you to learn more about our practice by browsing our website or contacting us directly.